Choosing the right memorial to commemorate yourself or your loved one is an important decision. You want the memorial to reflect your loved one in a tasteful way. Right now, you probably have a lot of different questions running through you mind. Where do I begin? What are the regulations and restrictions that my cemetery has, if any? How much will a memorial cost? How do I know I’m making the right decision?
That’s where we come in. At Tegeler Monument, we’re here to help you design a custom gravestone in one of your toughest times. We have the answers to all the questions you can think of. We understand that choosing a monument to memorialize a loved one can be a tough task, so we’re here to make things as easy as possible.
When the time comes to make the important decision of choosing gravestones and memorials for yourself or a loved one, remember these simple pointers to help make the process as smooth as possible.
- Knowing your cemetery’s rules and regulations. This is the most important part of the process. Each cemetery has its own set of rules and regulations from the size of the headstone, to which type of monument they allow in different sections of the cemetery. Many cemeteries strictly monitor the type of memorial you can purchase or even the material it is made out of. For example, some cemeteries only allow bronze markers. If you’re unsure about the restrictions in your cemetery, a professional at Tegeler can provide you with all the information needed. Fill out our Contact form, and we will get back to you promptly.
- Familiarize yourself with headstone designs and materials. Look around at the cemetery while visiting and check out different shapes and designs of the surrounding headstones or markers to get an idea of what you may like. Taking photos of monuments that are appealing to you or finding photos online may also help the monument company get a better idea of what you want. Tegeler Monument can help you design a beautiful single or double headstone or monument that is completely customized.
- Set a budget. Although Tegeler has the best prices around when it comes to selecting, purchasing, and installing a monument, knowing your budget can cut back on unneeded stress and help you make a decision you feel good about. We offer many different options when it comes to designing your monument, from vases and embellishments to beautiful etchings. If you can dream it, we can make it. We will work with you to suggest something that will make you and your wallet happy.
- Choose the shape of your monument. Monuments come in many different shapes and sizes. Our most popular shapes are: Serpentine top (wavy top), Oval top (rounded top), and Flat top.
- Choose the headstone polish. We offer three different options for polish on the headstones.
- Polish 2. Only polished on the front and back with natural looking granite top and sides.
- Polish 3. Polished on the front, back and top with natural looking granite sides.
- Polish 5. Polished all the way around on the front and back, top and sides.
- Choosing the inscription on the monument. Lettering on the monument includes your loved one’s name, birth date and death date; it can also include a verse of your choosing. It’s important to keep in mind the size of your monument, as very long quotes or verses may not fit completely. There are also many fonts to choose from for gravestone writing, including elegant script.
- Selecting images for the headstone. While some families may choose to opt for only text, many others opt to have images on their stones. Popular images are religious symbols, flowers, or even an emblem showcasing your loved one’s favorite sports team or hobby. These images can reflect your loved one’s tastes and life accomplishments. We even offer cameos, a porcelain and stainless-steel photograph that can be attached on any memorial you choose.
Once a design is chosen, our designers will create a drawing of the layout for your monument. We will email or mail this drawing to you for approval. We’ll ask you to double check the spelling, dates and design before moving forward with creating the stone.
Tegeler Monument is committed to offering you a friendly face during tough times. We offer a range of options for memorialization in Maryland and beyond, from monuments to specialty work like benches and mausoleums. If you’re ready to take the next step in memorializing your loved one, please call us (410) 944-0300 or fill out our online contact form and one of our family members will reach out to you.